Sunday, July 3, 2016

Week 3 - By the Sea

I had an amazing time shooting this week and learned a number of "tips" along the way as well. Plan for additional hours because there is so much ground to cover, wear sunscreen, bring snacks and bring knee pads. :) My last picture, on my way out of Hammonasset, is my favorite - ironic. I had a difficult time editing the picture with the driftwood. I would prefer if the trees were lightened up a bit but I couldn't make it look natural so voila.


















































3 comments:

  1. Starting with the top picture… I find the composition and lighting to be very good. I usually shy away from special-effects like pulling out spot color as you have done with the berries… Perhaps if you wanted to emphasize the red of the berries you might decrease the saturation in the leaves a bit but not all the way to black and white… That's my personal pet peeve. Most of the editing I am trying to teach in this class is not special-effects but good solid is there by accident. Simplicity , strength and elegance make for strong photography. Nice job.

    The shot with the sky and it is a good example of how to only include the sky when the photograph is about the sky… In other words oftentimes the sky is included unintentionally and it ends up being too bright and too hard to deal with in this case the nicely exposed cumulus cloud balances nicely with the foreground driftwood.

    My favorite shot however is the bottom one with all the wonderful light, radial design, texture and enclosed space. Everything that's included is essential to the photograph. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Professor Nevins. I appreciate the feedback. I did play around initially with the saturation and wasn't thrilled with it. I wanted to test my editing capabilities to see if I could get the berry color without erasing the rest of the picture. I succeeding but I agree, the picture is somewhat blah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bottom one, how it's off center. I also love the second one, how it captures so many different natural textures. I always enjoy your photos!

    ReplyDelete