Sunday, June 19, 2016

Week 1 Assignment: Self Portrait


My name is Leah Lorenzo. I am married with two daughters, ages 6 and 9 and live in Meriden. This is my second Mod at Albertus and it's really nice to be back in school after many years away. 
I love taking pictures, but have no technical skills. I'm hoping this class will help me use technique to translate what I see and feel into my shots. For the first assignment, I decided to try and do something with a mirror. What I found challenging about shooting with a mirror was placement. I moved the mirror several times to try and find an angle where there was a minimum of distractions both behind the mirror and in the reflection itself. Also, finding a way to place the camera so that it captured what I wanted in the frame and at the same time, was not seen in the reflection was challenging. At one point, I balanced the camera in a shoe on the ironing board, ha! I guess that's when a tripod would have come in handy. I set the timer on my camera and this is what I came up with.







7 comments:

  1. I really like your mirror pictures. I had the same problem trying to make sure you could see me in the mirror but not the camera. Can't wait to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,

    Welcome! I appreciate that you thought about the shot and worked out the angles and details of what you wanted to show...I like the B and W editing a lot. Nice job with these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your inventive "tripod." That is what makes photography so exciting - being creative. The shoe ironboard trick accomplished what you had in mind! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete